Sunday 14 March 2010

Tomihiro Hoshino

富弘美術館  Do you know him?
He was a school gym teacher until at 24, a tragic accident left him paralysed from the neck down. He became a christian and started to paint using his mouth. At 33 he had his first exhibition in Gunma and went on to publish many books and essays.

I thought I vaguely recognized his work from my childhood, hanging on a calender in the kitchen. Flowers, deep reds or mauves or yellows with some squiggly text. If it was him I remember as a teenager turning up my nose at anything less than what I believed to be revolutionary art and poetry. My staple diet of reading at the time being Neitzche and Wittgenstein.

Now as the last bloom of my twenties fades I have re-discovered his work. It makes more sense after living in Japan, it is subtle, quiet. The kind of work that is humble enough to lack big bill boards and probably twitter links.

I was so moved by listening to the poems (in Japanese), I tried the English audio but somehow the strong male australian voice seemed incongruent. His poems and color are simple but lack artifice. They are similar to traditional Haiku in that it is what is not said that is moving. The connection to flowers is a sense of beauty and transcience, pain and hope.
This poem reads:
I have a wound
But your tenderness penetrated through the wounds.

Another one which particularly stuck me on a personal level was one about the Plum trees:

I climbed the river bank to see a fire
The river was in a  village on the other side of the river
The house where the fire broke out
was red like charcoal in the kotatsu heater
There were no sounds nor human voices heard
While I was sitting in the dark
I could smell the fragrance
of the flower

1 comment:

kev said...

i have the book clocks of different paces which i am selling and would love it to go to someone who would appreciate his work so if you or anyone you know is interested it is up on ebay now. it is signed by the translators..one of whom is his pastor. it is a first edition first print so a must have for a true fan